5/17/2007

It is not that I am honest, competitive or smart. I am just an asshole.

The Texas hold 'em poker tournament started with twenty four people, it was now down to me, my friend and two ancillary characters. The top three places paid out cash money.

My friend bets out big in first position, I raise him all-in, as I have substantial edge in chips, he calls. I have an AJ suited, he has a pair of 9s. I catch a J on the turn that holds up for the win. He finished in fourth place, netting him zero dollars for several hours of work. My friend quietly begins to fume.

I won the tournament shortly thereafter. First place paid $200.00. After we left the church – I am seriously considering a career playing on the Catholic Charity Poker Circuit - my friend lays into me for knocking him out. He makes the very valid point: we would have likely finished 1st and 2nd, thus netting more money overall, had we not butted heads against each other.
In my defense, I really wanted to win. I also don't like to share.

No comments:

 
Blogging Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory